The Fair Green
A spacious area which one meets on approaching the Main Street, In bygone days this area was used for the sale of livestock, today the Post Office, a large engineering works and garage, a boat building and engine sales business are prominent features.
Adjacent to the Fair Green is the public swimming pool, tennis court, public library, fire station, community hall and a soccer pitch
In 1829 the green area extended to the Finnoe Road. An old jail and bridewll existed from 1840 until it was burned down in 1922.