Borrisokane Community Forum
Borrisokane Community Forum is a group which has come together to improve and promote the town we live in, by developing shared goals in order to address needs of the community, maintain its heritage and environment, and promote greater cohesion among groups in Borrisokane.
We want to secure an office base to help us promote what is already happening in Borrisokane.
We are consulting local community groups and businesses on how we can all work together better to promote the town, get more people involved in voluntary activity and generate new business in the town.
Working with North Tipperary LEADER Partnership, we have produced a Needs Analysis book on our town and this is available online on bit.ly/bkbcfreport. Following on from further discussions:
We know we can’t do it all. We know that by working together better we can do more than we have ever done before. If you are interested in getting involved or want to find out more: contact us on Borrisokanecommunityforum@hotmail.com; check out our Facebook page; contact us via Borrisokane.com website or telephone Miriam on 086 8941626; Catriona on 087 2912065 or Samantha on 083 4540495
The Forum's work has now been taken over by work by the Borrisokane Community Resource Centre Limited, based in the Old Church, Mill Street, Borrisokane.
- Borrisokane LocalSwitch Association was created; a Start Your Own Business training courses hosted; a report produced and local people involved in starting a Bia Box food box initiative;
- Interest was shown in the setting up a local community radio station - Stella FM;
- Community Garden was established with a successful harvest
- Working with the Department of Communications a BENEFIT 4 Computer training programme was established and successfully completed;
- Borrisokane Food and Craft market was established in the Square;
- Ireland’s 200th Mens Shed was established in the town
- 3 TÚS workers were taken on in a voluntary capacity.
- The After School Club, with the help of the Transition Year Students from Borrisokane Community School gave help to national school children with one to one help with their homework, a snack and arts and crafts. We provided Garda Vetting and work experience for a student placement, also An Gáisce Award student and two TÚS workers.
- Hosted Citizen’s Information Morning in the Old Church
- Co-ordinated meeting rooms for local politicians and interviews.
- Borrisokane.com website has been regularly updated by this volunteer group.
- Public meetings are currently being held to work with the Old Church committee to organise the transfer of ownership to a new not-for-profit organisation.
- Utilising the space in the Old Church, we have hosted a successful Art Exhibition with interest in future exhibitions.
- We worked with Cloughjordan Cine Club and the Clarke Hall Committee in showing the film ‘Frozen’ before Christmas followed by a Christmas Market in the Old Church.
- Plans are in progress to establish a ‘Link Shop’ which is being established to have local community groups run the second hand shop with donations from locals. All proceeds from sales will be divided three ways; rent for the room in the Old Church to ensure a viable business operates within the building; funds towards the running costs of the Day Care Centre and the remainder to be given to the person/group running the shop.
- Working with the committee of the Old Church, photographs have been taken to promote the space as work units / training rooms and computer rooms to ensure the viability and long term usage of the Old Church.